F1 Sport for sale

Wayne

F1 Sport for sale

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllHave found this F1 Sport for sale at http://www.classic-motorbikes.com/stock ... 103688Dose anybody Know about this bike/site is it a scamI am currently looking to purchas an F1 sport or JPS (spondon framed) replica, however the price to my reconing seams too high for f1 sport from a private seller, in adition I have noticed non of the f1's for sale in the last 4 months have reached their asking prices. Anybody any thoughts, as i dont want to get riped offRegards Wayne
Wayne

Re: F1 Sport for sale

Post by Wayne »

My mitske should have be F1's have not reched thir asking price
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Wayne,The bike is genuine and the quoted history is correct; the recorded mileage is probably correct too. NML rebuilt it on behalf of its second owner, who did a few hundred miles and then decided it wasn't what he really wanted and bought an IP2 to modify instead.NML advertised it on the web site and eventually sold it to a new owner in Holland.Most of the photographs are probably in Holland, although one of them is definitely on the NML forecourt at Rugeley.Price does seem a bit optimistic - but then F1 Sports don't often come up for sale in that condition, and a powder blue one is even more uncommon.I have no knowledge of the agent.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

If I had the cash I think its a bargain and would grab it. cool As richard says how often do these come up for sale??
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Having owned an F1 for four years which was a good one I wouldn`t want another one. I think a clue is how often they come up for sale considering how few were made. Try & blag a ride on one in normal traffic to be sure it`s what you want & expect before parting with loads of dosh. Derek.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllThanks for the replies, i have owned my F1 since 1992, which i paid £7250 for with 600 miles on the clock, so I know roughly what to expect from a f1 sport, however i curently value my F1 at 12 to 14k maximum, it was molly coated at Shenstone, and has 8500 miles on the clock., 20+k even for a sport in the current climate form a private bidder seams very high, it could be the agent is putting a few k on for advertising the bike . If I am wrong the bike will sell, if I am right it won’tI do have the £, but I am not going to waste my inheritance buying something that’s over priced. From memory Richard offered a warranty with his machines and these were fully rebuilt for the top money bikes.The agent wants my full address and phone number which makes me a bit dubiousRegards Wayne
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Wayne, Being a long term F.1. owner who has only averaged 470 miles a year i surmise you haven`t had many smiles per mile covered when riding the bike. I did about 7,000 miles in 4 years on mine but realised I wasn`t enjoying them so sold it on. On my 500 Dominator which I have owned nearly 4 years I have covered 12,000 miles & loved every minute of it. I enjoy riding my Commanders as well & also a `71 Laverda SF which is good fun. Derek.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi DerickIn 96 the bike was taken of the road due to comitments (the other half nagging every time i wanted to go out on it) and put on the road again in 2007) now shes pased her bike test i can ride it again, i have 4 bikes so the milage tends to be veand out. i had a 180 jota once and that made the f1 look comuter frendly. i dont realy have to much of an issue with riding the f1 but for me i allways felt it should have had more power a lot more power and a 6 speed box, the front wheel never trys to get airborn under power
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Wayne wrote:Hi Derickit should have had more power a lot more power and a 6 speed box, the front wheel never trys to get airborn under power
Hi Wayne,Quite agree ! A bit of a sheep in wolf's clothing really, but constrained by legislation and supplier control.I still don't have any idea how to un-strangle the Norton rotary and keep it even close to emissions-legal for all but UK Single Vehicle Approval. Germany and USA, the two largest potential markets, are totally out of the question for new build. Choice of gear-set was dictated by Yamaha (supplier of choice due to the long association with Norton) who declined to supply the FZ750 6-speed set as that bike was soon to be discontinued. Hence the FZR1000 clunky 5-speeder. What they neglected to say was that the FZ750 was to be replaced by the FZR750 with a very similar gear set. That is a popular conversion, six having been done at Rugeley and I have one in progress now.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Mine was very,very quick to 100m.p.h. & then crept upward to its max. whilst the japanese bikes disappeared over the horizon. Very exciting up to the 100 & competetive. Did n`t lift the front wheel which I thought was an advantage. What power there was was completely usable I think due to the light weight. In traffic, what a nightmare!!! Derek.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllI must agree Derick the f1 is just about adequate up to 100mph but so is my 1969 commando, My 2002 Daytona pulls like the f1, then it hits 7000rpm and the difference is phenomenal, Norton should have offered elegal (of course I meant not for road use spares) tuning parts and ejector exhaust, I did ask Norton in 1993 and was told to contact Micron direct who quoted me £2500 for the exhaust and no setting up help or info. Triumph have really caught on to the not for road use spares and are making a fortune, it was triumph who put two fingers up at the 125Bhp limit in this country. I followed on of the jps road replicas with ejector exhaust on the M2 in 1991 I was on my 1200 Trophy we were stuck behind traffic when it cleard, with both of us in top gear he left me for dead if. Norton needed the f1 to have this sort of performance. My F1 was substantially tested by John Willams at Norton after it kept dumping coolant after mollying, he told me it was one of the quickest F1’s heed ridden, but wee both agreed it needed some extra bhp.For my money the gearing/power ratios are just right when the front wheel just threatens to come up on the throttle.On Richards point I have an extensive workshop facilities and the reason I am interested in purchasing another bike. When I get one a new gearbox will be on the shopping list and ejector exhaust, I want to end up with what I followed that day on the M2, stuff the noise or emissions rules, that’s for me to worry about, I will plant a couple of trees to ease my conscious. Regards Wayne
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

When I had mine I went to see Pete Gibson who at one time made the curly wurly ejector exhausts. His workshop is local to me. He still had some of the bends & bits & pieces & from memory wanted £700.00 for an exhaust. Problem was he had no knowledge on how to set the bike up to work with the exhaust as all that was done at the factory. Because of that & also I would have have had to chop the beautifull bodywork about, I decided against doing it. Derek.