Well, the RE5 is home...help!

eyeguy

Well, the RE5 is home...help!

Post by eyeguy »

Got it home today, safely MOT'd and the paperwork is with the DVLA for registration.ImageA few things I've noticed, the fuel tank sender is blanked off, the petrol tap leaks(grrr) after a while, MOT anyone? It runs, but barely. I can only get it to run, and lumpily at that, accepting no throttle really, if I jiggle the choke lever. Is it fair to assume the carb is gummed up? Do I remove it and simply chuck it in a ultrasonic bath, or is there some magic in need of application as well. The air filter turned to dust on removal, is that a job for Rotary Recycle, or might there be A N Other supplier.I hope you like it and will happily appreciate any advice; I've already had some off board exchanges with Mick and Roger, thank you smiley Nobody more surprised than me to see that the digital indicator works.... Very Happy CheersATGPaul
Charles Wilson

Re: Well, the RE5 is home...help!

Post by Charles Wilson »

Congratulations!I posted elsewhere on the carb and the oil filter.Carb diaphragms at your local Solex Shop. Lay 'em out on the counter and match 'em up.The Oil Filter was used in Toyota Corollas. I'll see if I can find the number and Post it.Charles
Charles Wilson

Re: Well, the RE5 is home...help!

Post by Charles Wilson »

BTW, one of the first things I did when I got my RE-5 A was switch out the wheelbarrow handlebars. The bars I had were about 1" risers.The difference is staggering. You will go from wondering how you're going to steer the beast in traffic to "in over your head" very quickly. The narrow front tires of old will amplify this a bit. I never got to the rear sets stage but the resulting position from the change in handlebars leaves you reaching - the tank is l-o-n-g. The feel, however, is superb.Charles