Exhaust removal the hard way

Mick Taylor

Exhaust removal the hard way

Post by Mick Taylor »

As early preparation for a forthcoming engine overhaul I decided to remove the Classic exhaust system. Getting those silencers off was a b**ch! The original car type exhaust clamps work by crushing the silencer onto the downpipe. Not wishing to go through that again I bought a cheap exhaust internal expander kit (Note: should have paid for a proper one) and opened the silencer ends to a snug sliding fit. The worst part was the thought of the strain being put on the downpipes by all the twisting and pulling needed to get them off.There seems no point in re fitting the silencers with the original clamps and causing a repeat of the same problem, so the plan is to cut two slots in the end of each silencer about 2-3mm wide and 20mm long, then find some exhaust specific silicone sealant and re fit using stainless band type clamps that will just close up the slots slightly to grip the downpipe but not cause deformation.Has anyone done this before and is there a better way to avoid the struggles caused by the original clamps? Has anyone found an exhaust sealant that will withstand the temperatures and still allow easy removal?All advice or suggestions gratefully absorbed.........Mick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust removal the hard way

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi Mick,I never got around to refitting the clamps to my IP2 and the system is none to worse for them missing.I figured that with expansion / contraction, a certain amount of sliding was required between the header and the silencers, and these clamps stopped it .... so putting more strain on the header pipes and the silencer mountings.The IP2 / Classic system really doesn't seem to need them
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The first time I had to remove the silencers from the manifold on my Classic there were no exhaust clamps,just a sliding fit,(the bike had only done 625miles)they were an absolute pig to remove!,and I was terified of fracturing the manifold, the next time(some 30,000+ miles later because the balance pipe had developed a "blow") I took the manifold & silencers off all as a one and used the bench vice & a large pair of stilsons, all to no avail,b****rd silencers would not budge!,so off to the welders all as a one,the result is another story for another day,sufice to say I hope the next silencer removal will be less tiresome, ride safe,J.B.
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Thank you for that, it is very interesting, I did momentarily wonder if I had just assumed the clamps were original fitment (never make an assumption) but there they are in the parts book.It seems from what has been said that these systems are able to run leak free with no form of clamp? I would quite like to use a thin layer of VHT silicone if I can, not so much as a sealant, but as a release agent....I've used it before in similar circumstances and it does allow very easy removal even years later by preventing the sliding surfaces from bonding to each other and obviating the need for an overly tight clamp...and it gives a gas tight seal as a bonus.The question remains though...is there a sealant that will withstand rotary exhaust temperatures? Any ideas?Mick.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I used loctite copper based VHT sealant on mine and I guess its still there exclaim
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Thanks Paul, that sounds ideal, I will try it.Mick.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Ooops exclaim,looking at the Classic today I realised that she is fitted with exhaust clamps red face,(It's me age guv) J.B.