Norton hydraulic clutch seals

rustynuts

Norton hydraulic clutch seals

Post by rustynuts »

Has anybody had problems with disintegrating slave cylinder seals. My hydraulic clutch is only a year old but the outer edge of the large seal and both sides of the small seal have flaked away. If it was just the outer sides I would have thought it is a compatibility problem with the ATF I have been running in the primary case, but as the small seal has failed on both sides, perhaps it is from a bad batch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Re: Norton hydraulic clutch seals

Post by Richard Negus »

The seals in the slave cylinder are standard Brembo items, the larger one from their P08 caliper (as on IP2 and Classic) and the small one from the front master cylinder of the same machines. I can imagine an incompatibility with ATF, but defects to the other edge suggests damage during original manufacturing/assembly of the slave cylinder. Are there any sharp edges at the piston and cylinder that could have caused this?Did the cylinder leak, or did you dismantle it as a precaution against a future failure?R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
vontripper

Post by vontripper »

hi richard, iam losing brake fluid from cylinder on handle bars, none that can be seen could i have same problem.what do i need to take off hydraulic clutch and how to replace seals plzthanking you tony
[color=#FF0040]God Willing & The Creek Don`t Rise[/color]
gripper

Post by gripper »

Hi Tony, Just to make it clear, after bleeding your clutch on Sunday, you don't appear to be losing fluid from the master cylinder. The level may be going down but not leaking from the MC you may be losing fluid from the slave cylinder, that would be difficult to see because it's pretty oily in that area. Dry the slave cylinder off and pack the area with clean dry kimwipe. (blue paper towel or kitchen roll) work the clutch a few times and look for the damp spots.