IP2 low fuel probs

gripper

IP2 low fuel probs

Post by gripper »

I've been getting a slight hesitancy and was suspecting a misfire or even dare I say it a partial siezure. Does the IP2 suffer when the fuel state is low? I,ve just put in 20.5 litres, the tank is supposed to hold 23 and the problem has cleared. I know my Commando with a SU fitted was a dreadful starter when the tank was low and I got shot of the SU as a result. When fitted to cars these carbs always had a fuel pump to pressurise the supply. My Son's NTV 650 Honda has a fuel pump but the carbs are very high and the tank has a low "sump" below the level of the carbs.
Dell Boy

Re: IP2 low fuel probs

Post by Dell Boy »

Makes no difference whether full or almost dry. Rotary`s do strange things in my experience & whatever it is doing in the way of misbehaving usually sorts itself out over time/use.Best not to fiddle unless it gets serious apart from you could try new plugs.Derek.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi Gripper I had a similar problem many moons ago and found that the petrol filter had warped for some strange reason causing fuel starvation under certain circumstances, maybe you could check your filter especially on the input side as this is where I found the plastic had collapsed the most.Always check your plugs also as Dell has stated I have found during cold periods C8E's work well and during the height of summer I use the CR9EIX's.Hope this helps Paul
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

I have taken the fuel filters out, more trouble than they are worth.Andy
gripper

Post by gripper »

I have never had the filter fitted but saw the same problem at the NOC Scottish rally a couple of years ago on a chaps IP2. I'll look into getting some new plugs.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Don't forget the club has stocks of various NGKs at (hopefully) unbeatable prices ....David
rustynuts

Post by rustynuts »

Don't forget there is a fine nylon mesh filter on top of the petrol tap.You are probably all aware that the current ethanol blend of fuel can dissolve Petseal and other tank sealants. Unfortunately, a previous owner used Petseal on my tank. It has flaked away to reveal lots of pinholes and has gummed up the petrol tap filter. I have not yet looked to see if my carbs are gummed up also. I have had to cut open the base of the fuel tank so that I could extract about half a carrier bag full of petseal flakes. What remains clinging on is being slowly softened with paint stripper.