Squealing IP2/ heated grips

gripper

Squealing IP2/ heated grips

Post by gripper »

Just went to start the IP2 yesterday after a two week break from use. hit the tit and a dreadful squealing noise was coming from the engine. I removed the plugs and put a good dose of oil in cranked again, not much better. Finally identified the steel strap on the alternator cover that holds the cable away from the flywheel, rubbing against the flywheel. Wasn't doing it last time it ran. OAT in the garage yesterday was about zero so maybe something has moved in the cold. A friend with a Classic recommends warming the engine with a fan heater when the weather is as cold as this. Any thoughts. Just fitted a pair of heated grips from a company called Roxter. They are identical to the Oxford ones but half the price. (£37) they look well made, I'll report back as to how good they are
andy588tt

Re: Squealing IP2/ heated grips

Post by andy588tt »

Hi Gripper Poor thing fancy leaving your Norton out in a cold shed, A friend of mine in Lowestoft has a very thoughtful wife she allows his F1 to sit quietly behind the settee in the front room, Its probably used as a coffee table, I tried this when I first got my F1 thirteen years ago the words that the wife said,If you can get Lilly in the house with out removing bits when getting it in and out?. " Lilly the name given to this lovely black F1 because of the smoke when starting and the cigarette logos fag ash Lil was the name given" but when I tried to get through the back door these large mirrors cought the door frames and I was stopped dead doing the deed I saw the funny side and had to give in so close yet so far cry .You could do what I do my bikes in the garage and cover with large blankets it keeps the dust off too wink Ride SafeAndy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Gripper,I too,like Andy,cover my Classic with a thick blanket,but UNDER the blanket I have one of the new "save the planet" bulbs in a lead lamp clamped to the bike where the battery is, and I leave it on 24-7,(costs about a quid a week)and seems to keep the temp under the blanket above freezing, helps the battery too,regards J.B.
FloridaMike

Post by FloridaMike »

Further to the idea of a light bulb under the crankcase, there is a device called a "Thermocube" which looks like a normal three way outlet, and has a thermostat inside. It turns on at 35 degrees F, and turns off at 45 degrees F. If you set one of these up with a standard light bulb or a 100 watt heat lamp, it will keep the engine nice and warm when the outside air temperature starts to fall, and shut itself off when things warm up. We use them in small pump houses for rural residential wells.They cost all of about $13 from Amazon - the company that makes them is in Indiana someplace (wherever Indiana is in the US), and the device is 110 volts. I am SURE someone makes a 220 volt equivalent, and that sounds like it would be just the ticket for this application. (If no one makes a 220 volt unit with a UK plug, I sense a business opportunity!)There's also a high temperature version which is useful if you wire it up with an exhaust fan in your shed. Summer temperature gets up to 120 degrees F, the fan goes on automatically. At 100 degrees F, it goes off.Best Regards,FloridaMike
gripper

Post by gripper »

Thanks chaps. The temperature was only zero because the door was open all afternoon. Normally the central heating boiler keeps things a little above zero. I'm not so sure about covering a light bulb with a blanket in the region of the petrol tank/battery. The blanket on it's own will not keep an inanimate object warm. Changing the subject a little. A good few years ago, whilst in my car, I was driven into head on by an old chap who closely resembled the Major out of Fawlty Towers. Luckily by the time he hit me the speeds were low. When I composed myself and was convinced I didn't need to kill him, we separated the cars and his old Fiat had a thick horse blanket over the engine tucked in at the edges. (I didn't see if there was a bale of hay in the boot) He was probably lucky to have had his journey curtailed before the whole thing went up in flames. He never drove again.