Fuel filter trouble

andygbsmith

Fuel filter trouble

Post by andygbsmith »

An interesting problem the other day. I won't bore you all with all the details but the bike had fuel starvation issues.It turned out to be the inline filter had started to colapse and the filter material was breaking down and turning the fuel orange in colour!I have removed the filter and replaced it with a straight section of hose and the bike is running perfect again (I did strip and clean the carbs just to be sure). My assumption is the higher percentage of Methanol in modern fuel may be causing the problem. I tend to use Shell fuel. Has anybody else had a problem?I have read and seen issues with Glass fibre tanks and the modern fuel.Andy
Interpol2471

Re: Fuel filter trouble

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi Andy I have had this a few times with the standard inline filter but I have found on the IP2 that the filter bends the inlet pipe on the filter and restricts the fuel flow there.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

No it was the filter element that had collapsed.
gripper

Post by gripper »

A chap at the Scottish NOC rally had the collapsing filter pipe problem a couple of years ago. Is there not a filter built into the fuel tap, mitigating the need for a further source of problems with the inline item? I haven't got one fitted. I have found a fair bit of debris in the LHS of the tank (IP2) when I've had occasion to drain that side. The trouble is if you don't fit a tap in that side of the tank, that fuel sits there and moisture that collects, and it does, rots through the tank from the inside. There is a fair bit of fuel sitting there doing nothing.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi there,To prevent rust in a petroltank i use "Wynns Dry Fuel" in all of my bikes. I do this per bike once a year and have never had any rust or waterproblems again. This now for over 10 years!!The Wynns makes the water mix with the fuel and the water leaves the tank with the petrol to be burnt in the engine. It not only get rid of water in the tank but also in the floatbowl/carburetor. Problem solved in an very easy way!! Groet, Jannes