Norton Classic wiring query-help!

eyeguy

Norton Classic wiring query-help!

Post by eyeguy »

Apropos my previous posting-Hi ChapsRe: the misfiring Rotary. I've had my electrically aware friend around this evening, who has been busily buzzing out terminals and checking wires. There is an issue-The rev counter is electronic, and according to the wiring diagram has a lead connected to it from the r/h coil via the boyer box(the misfiring side). Presumably this is the 'sending lead' for want of a better phrase? All the circuit from the coil to the boyer and from the boyer to the instrument cluster checks out ( but that latter section is being completely bypassed by a mystery lead added by the previous owner). There are also power and earth leads to the rev counter, of course. My rev counter has had this lead disconnected and is being fed by a new, non-original lead directly from the 3 phase output side of the generator. In the picture, the white one is power from the ignition switch, the black earth and the yellow the sender?ImageAny ideas why this should be? The rev counter seems to work ok, although a couple of times it has gone awol for a few seconds. I'm suspicious that the r/h misfire seems to be part of the bodged rev counter wiring, of course.All suggestions gratefully received, even the silly ones might make me laugh as I drop the match in the tank....I 'think' we're making proper progress.Cheers!ATGPaul
graham

Re: Norton Classic wiring query-help!

Post by graham »

Someone has replaced the Classic Motometer unit with a Veglia rev counter from an Interpol2.The wiring is correct for the Veglia.The original yellow from R/H coil to tacho should no longer be connectedUsing this tacho with the Boyer power box doesn't always work at higher RPM because the power box works in a different way to the Interpol 'sparkrite' unit and the Tacho loses it's signal above 4000 rpm unless you have a load on the battery (Headlights on for instance)Could the yellow wire be shorting to earth?Graham
eyeguy

Re: Norton Classic wiring query-help!

Post by eyeguy »

Thank you Graham, that's one head-scratcher resolved at least!I'm calling you later for some bits-sorry!Kind regardsA tutto gasPaul