the most bizarre fault-help!

eyeguy

the most bizarre fault-help!

Post by eyeguy »

Hi ChapsA bizarre problem- my new Classic misfires like a good 'un, backfiring like the retreat from Moscow as it cuts in and out on one cylinder. However, if I touch the horn button and give it a quick 'parp' the misfire disappears and it immediately runs on two again! I'm assuming there's a short, unless it's a known fault, any ideas?BTW I did this perhaps twenty times on the way home from work, I'm not imagining it, honest. Seems to largely disappear( the fault) once the bike is thoroughly hot.Suggestions most welcomeA tutto Gas!Paul
gripper

Re: the most bizarre fault-help!

Post by gripper »

You might investigate the area of the coils as, if it's anything like the IP2, the wires feeding the coils come through the same sleeving as the horn wires. It can get pretty hot in there, the air box and horns on mine were well warped. I've left the two covers between the rotor housing and the carbs off to allow a better flow of air across the fins.Dave E
eyeguy

Re: the most bizarre fault-UPDATE

Post by eyeguy »

ChapsAfter dismantling the bike and checking every connection, it became apparent that the loom was not at fault. I then fitted new 6V coils, thermal switch, plugs and leads, with no improvement.Finally, the decision was made to fit a complete new ignition setup from NML, I'd considered the Startright unit as it's both cheaper and easier to fit, but it was also out of stock!Since fitting the Norton unit I've covered just over 250 trouble-free miles. A very happy rotator indeed.For sale, a pair of brand new 6V coils :0))Kind regardsPaul