IP2 Digital Ignition

gripper

IP2 Digital Ignition

Post by gripper »

Richard, In a previous thread (possible ignition issue) you state that "all the ignition systems switch the -ve side of the coil apart from the IP2" I resume that this means that, if fitted to a IP2, a digital or Boyer system needs to have it's output to the coils changed to reflect that. I don't want to spend a fortune on a digital system and see it evaporate because I c----d up.
Richard Negus

Re: IP2 Digital Ignition

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Dave,I haven't searched for my original comment, but what I think I meant was that Classics, Commanders, F1 and F1 Sport all have normal 12volt systems which, in effect, switch the -ve side of the coil on and off to create the spark (just like a contact breaker, but more accurately). The +ve side of the coils is always live when the ignition is switched on (side stand, kill switch, blah blah blah.......)The IP2 originally had a Sparkrite CDI system where the box sent a 400'ish volt surge to the coils to create the spark. These Hitachi coils are designed for this input voltage and will only work correctly with a Sparkrite box, or equivalent.The Startright digital box is a direct replacement for a Boyer box; same connections, same trigger, same ballast resistor, same coils.The Norton digital system is a kit of components which must be used together ; Hall-effect trigger, 12volt coils, ignition box, sub-harness, but no ballast resistor.If fitting a Boyer (or Startright digital) box to an IP2, the original trigger can be used but you will need a pair of 12volt coils, or a pair of 6volt with a ballast resistor, and some do-it-yourself wiring modifications.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
gripper

Post by gripper »

Thanks for that Richard, I'm in the picture now.Dave E
nortonf1

Post by nortonf1 »

Good evening, I think that Richard can answer me!I bought Digital one Ignition System Model distributed by TT1 Norton Commander 390 / TH Startright.I think that it can amount on my Norton F1 as a replacement of the former(ancient). Regrettably the colors of the sons(threads) do not correspond has those of F1. Can give me myself the colors which correspond has my F1. Thank you in advance for the information
J'aime le bicylindre ,le 3 cylindres et le birotor mais a la sauce anglaise !