carbon buildup

Blair-re5

carbon buildup

Post by Blair-re5 »

Hi there any good ideas ?I had our snap-on tool rep in today and i used his inspection camera(great piece of equipment)and had a look down the spark plug holes,quite a bit of carbon on the rotors.the camera could not look 90 deg so i could not look at side housings.what should i do ??1 -keep using until something goes wrong.2-try and clean carbon without striping engine -using some kind of "something"3-strip it down ,clean and recondition .the engine was mollied ,not sure on how many miles ago as looking through history it has had a new speedo fitted.Any ideas/tips would be great Cheers Blair.any ideas/tips would be great cheers Blair.
Richard Negus

Re: carbon buildup

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Blair,Check the oil pump setting - it could be getting too much oil - and ride it hard to burn most of the carbon off ! Excess soft black carbon can very occasionally fall off the rotor and jam against the rotor housing (this doesn't happen when the engine is running). Although it feels like the engine is seized solid, rectifying it is normally a simple procedure.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
wust588

Re: carbon buildup

Post by wust588 »

Hello Blair,Carbon on the rotors is nothing to worry about, unless it's black and oily.Check that it's not over oiling ( which isn't detrimental to the engine- unless you ride it slow ) if it worries you.Other than that, give it a bit of "Italian tuning"