Single speed Commander

TRL

Single speed Commander

Post by TRL »

I was out riding TRL this morning in Colwyn Bay when I had problems changing gear from 2nd to 3rd I think. I couldn't get my foot under the gear pedal. Pulled over to check it out and when I looked down the gear lever was at a funny angle. on closer inspection I found the pedal held on by a sliver of metal. As soon as I touched it with my hand it parted company.The gear selector shaft had sheared off outside the box. I don't know which gear I was in but I restarted it with the clutch in and rode it carefully home 30 miles in the one gear.I now have the problem of replacing or repairing the shaft. Is this a big job on the Commander and where will I find the parts to carry out the repair?
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Re: Single speed Commander

Post by Richard Negus »

A minor inconvenience !Andover Norton for the parts.Drain the gearbox oil, pull the cover, remove circlip on the outside of the spindle, remove old spindle, replace with new, etc......You might like to consider a spindle and lever from the Interpol. All interchangeable and the splined part is bigger diameter = stronger.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
TRL

Post by TRL »

Thanks Richard,Helpful as ever Very Happy Enquiries under way with ANIL
TRL

Post by TRL »

Hi Richard,Did you notice the unusual fracture pattern in the stump left in the pedal? The pedal is not the original, I think, but what looks like a short lever with a folding crosspiece like on an older trials bike.Looks like there was a rusty crack (bottom right) then a shear or tension section in the centre, but I have never seen the tendrill like structure at the top before. What material were they made of?
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Your lever is not original to a Commander, but looks like a Yamaha part. The original was a short lever with a ball-joint link back to a footpedal that pivoted below the footrest (all Yamaha parts so the spline on the gearshaft is also 'Yamaha' dimensions). The IP2 shaft has a 'Triumph' spline, indicating its provenance as a T140V gearbox originally).The Commander shaft was made, I think, from either EN19T or EN24T.The rusty area of the break suggests a fatigue failure, ot even a good smack at some time in the past, not helped by the replacement pedal giving an offset load compared to the original.I seem to recall a shaft shearing off suddenly on one of the Commander prototypes, but that may have been a softer material.
Richard Negus

More observation

Post by Richard Negus »

I see you have an IP2 footrest hanger which lowers the rest and brings it forward.I also see that the footrest adjuster serration doesn't line up and shows signs of rust. Is the bolt bent or just not tight ?The same event might have started the gear lever crack.R.
TRL

Post by TRL »

Hi Richard,Thanks for your comments, The bike is still set up as it was when Dave Perry had it. In fact it ticks over fast, but it starts first time every time so I haven't touched the set up, I didn't want to spoil the good starting. The footrest mounting bolt must be bent I think as I have checked for tightness, in fact the one on the other side is the same. Perhaps it has been dropped on both sides in the past. The Krauser panniers testify to that with scuffing on both lower front corners.I do have the original gear lever which Dave gave me with the bike, but I have now followed your advice and ordered the IP2 shaft and lever from ANIL, should be here by the weekend, so the original lever is now surplus.Should I remove the IP2 footrest hangers or should I keep them now I will be using the IP2 lever and spindle. Were they just put on for personal preference and comfort? Mike
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Mike,Having posted twice in succession last night, I realised my second was bo%%ocks. Your l/h footrest is Commander and the mount arm (banana) is also Commander, but from the right side. This allows the footrest to be positioned on the lower bolt, presumably a 'comfort' mod.But - what do you have on the right hand side ? If a chrome plated banana (with serrated bosses top and bottom) , then that is an IP2 part.On the left side, the original mount has an extra boss for the gear lever pivot and the serrated boss is on the upper bolt only.If it's comfortable like that for you, leave it like that ; if you'd like higher footrests, swop the banana plates from side to side.R.
graham

Post by graham »

If you're not sorted yet, I have one in stock.May also be worth using an Interpol unit. Much stronger and takes Triumph levers http://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?m ... id=14748If you want to do a cheap DIY job, I can supply just the shaft for £10. Grinding the old weld off and welding the new shaft in place is fairly straightforward.Graham
TRL

Post by TRL »

graham wrote:If you're not sorted yet, I have one in stock.May also be worth using an Interpol unit. Much stronger and takes Triumph levers http://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?m ... id=14748If you want to do a cheap DIY job, I can supply just the shaft for £10. Grinding the old weld off and welding the new shaft in place is fairly straightforward.Graham
Hi GrahamThanks for the offer, but I got the new IP2 ones from Andover Norton. They arrived very quickly and I have finally got round to fitting them. Then a bit of adjustment to find the comfortable position. Job done.
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

Hi Mike, glad you sorted out your minor woes, and that the dear old bus is still running well. I did swap the hangers around to provide extra comfort. I did also drop, at standstill, the bike quite some time ago, so that explains the dinks. Did anyone get Fido the IP2 running right ? I would love to know why it would idle properly when the engine was hot, only if the temp sensor wire was disconnected. Best Regards to all dave and kerry