question about aircooled rotary engines

rotaryrinus

question about aircooled rotary engines

Post by rotaryrinus »

HiIn what type were the aircooled rotary enginges built in?Are they (just as) reliable as the watercooled engines?Thanks in advanceRotaryrinusThe Netherlands
gripper

Re: question about aircooled rotary engines

Post by gripper »

Interpol 2 and Classic models have the aircooled engines. The Classic and military IP2s have a lower compression and produce 79 BHP and the civilian IP2s and Commanders develop 85 BHP The aircooled engines obviously do not have the water pump and radiator and have a slightly lower output alternator. There are many Nortons both air and water cooled with massive mileages on them, maintenance is simple once they are sorted and reliability is not a problem in my opinion.
johnbirchjar

Re: question about aircooled rotary engines

Post by johnbirchjar »

The most problems Iv'e had with my Classic have been electricle,Ignition box's (3) and Voltage Regulators(also3)I'm hoping that I have solved this problem by moving the V.R. to a position on the bike so that it gets a more cooling flow of air,(where it was origanaly it recieved vertualy no air flow and got realy hot,and seeing as it was back to back with the ignition box they both got well and truly cooked )other than that, virtualy none Very Happy"inshala" I have covered over 54,000 miles on the bikeFrom what I can gather from water cooled bike owners, their "Achilies Heel" are the water pumps.but they can be modified.ride safe,J.B.