IP2 new owner with race exhaust

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
BlackIP2

IP2 new owner with race exhaust

Post by BlackIP2 »

Hello all.

I recently bought an IP2 having searched for a Norton rotary for ages and finally acquired this one. It’s been mildly café-raced from its police spec by the previous owner, but I’m going to change the styling again to my own taste.

One of the first things I need to sort is the race-spec exhaust system, which I think might be one of Geoff Madden’s, although it has Norton Motorcycles Ltd 1987 Ltd stamped on it. Whilst it makes a glorious noise I’m not sure I can live with it day in day out, but I’ll put a few miles on the bike first before making a final decision.

I’ve seen some previous exchanges on the forum about these exhausts, so if I do decide to change it, is anyone still likely to be interested in it, but that's assuming I can get hold of a standard 2 into 2 system first?

Cheers
Mark
nednortonrider

Re: IP2 new owner with race exhaust

Post by nednortonrider »

Hi , I am building a café racer out of an Interpol . I have put a pair of reverse cone Commando pipes on it and have the original silencers if you are interested in some sort of a deal .I assume the pipes you have are not the extractor type fitted to the works racers .Cheers Ned .
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Hi Ned
Actually it does look like it is based on the extractor system used by the factory racer. From the exhaust ports the pipes loop forward into a sort of double oval and into a collector box under the engine which then has a larger single pipe out of the back and into a huge 'silencer'. It's all stainless steel, though the extractor part is not plumbed in. I’ll PM you with some pics so you can see if it is what you are thinking of.
Cheers
Mark
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

its worth noting the air cooled race bikes had the oil flow feed changed from the intermediate plate to the outer end plates, they modified the stationary gears for the oil flow as well, you also have then to run petrol oil mix.

Regards Wayne
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Although it is based on the racer exhaust, and mine does have the extractor stub, it is blanked off and not connected, so as far as I can see, it is effectively just a 2 into 1 system running on a standard air-cooled engine with the normal air flow. I think the bike was fairly well known in the forum with its previous owner and when I bought it I was advised that all he had done was to have Norton set the carbs up for him when the system was originally fitted. I suppose that's another thing to consider if I do replace it with a standard system - resetting the carbs. And looking through the IP2 workshop manual, that looks an extremely intricate process - oh joy.
Mark
Project 588

Post by Project 588 »

Hi Mark

If you haven't already got sorted with your exhausts.
I am currently breaking some IP2s and have several sets of standard exhausts I may also have a usable manifold but will have to check.

Regards George
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

George
Yes, I'm still after a set of standard exhausts. I'll PM you with my email address.
Mark