Reclaiming rotary engine components.

spondonash

Reclaiming rotary engine components.

Postby spondonash » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Well as it says has anyone looked into reclaiming rotary engine components, replate housings, metal spray end plates etc. With engine parts becoming incredibly rare there must be something we can do to extend the lives of these engines ?

kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Reclaiming rotary engine components.

Postby kanonkopdrinker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 pm

I suggest you speak to club member Clemens Bubner in Germany .... he well may be able to provide you with some useful information.

David

johnbirchjar

Postby johnbirchjar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 am

The latest "Gossip" seems to indicate that one of our biggest problems is with Engine Bearings,Seals and Tips,J.B.

spondonash

Postby spondonash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 am

kanonkopdrinker wrote:I suggest you speak to club member Clemens Bubner in Germany .... he well may be able to provide you with some useful information.

David

I know Clemens well but haven't been able to get in touch for some time. If anyone has a different email it would be appreciated. Thanks.

spondonash

Postby spondonash » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am

johnbirchjar wrote:The latest "Gossip" seems to indicate that one of our biggest problems is with Engine Bearings,Seals and Tips,J.B.

My understand is all rotor seals are available, same with bearings ? The big problem seems to be the major engine components.

johnbirchjar

Postby johnbirchjar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:47 pm

The quality and accuracy of the bearings leave a lot to be desired(eg, knackered within 100 miles evil) as I have experienced J.B.

spondonash

Postby spondonash » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm

johnbirchjar wrote:The quality and accuracy of the bearings leave a lot to be desired(eg, knackered within 100 miles evil) as I have experienced J.B.

Which bearings are we talking about here, rotor bearings ?

johnbirchjar

Postby johnbirchjar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am

Yep,J.B.

tim harrison

Postby tim harrison » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

The rotor bearings are slightly different, one is hard to source and the other may become so. If JB used a secondhand one that may have been the problem but that may be the only source at present and they will need to be carefully checked. These bearings seem to generally have a long life. It would be worth putting our heads together to see if we can track down a source. Tim

johnbirchjar

Postby johnbirchjar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 am

Nope,brand new from A/N(who don't stock them anymore anyway, evil)
It would appear that I myself am in the minority of Rotary(and any other Classic British bike smiley )owners who has not had a "working life" connected to the engineering industry in one form or another,so surely someone must know of a bearing manufacturer(supplier?)where said bearings can be sourced?after all,a number rotary powered "machines" of one form or another are currently in use and they must get their bearings from somewhere exclaim.
A prime example of "It aint what you know but who"(or is that whom? wink)J.B.

Charles Wilson

Postby Charles Wilson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm

johnbirchjar wrote:A prime example of "It aint what you know but who"(or is that whom? wink)J.B.

1. "He" => "Who"
"Him" => "Whom"

"I know *him*..." Therefore "Whom". I thimk.

2. My SAE Paper on our favorite Norton engine is in a box at the archaeological dig, level 3 but:
It stated somewhere that only bearings with "...low lateral creep" were usable. Now, this engine has faced the rigors of tubocharging and come through just fine. Yet, if the Rotor Bearings aren't just so, you may find yourself looking at some kinetic modern art.

Yes, it's a Bearing Knowledge question. I ran across this a number of times with my RE-5: From Mikuni-manufactured-from-Solex-Design carb diaphragms to the starters that spun (Spinned?) themselves into oblivion (An especially sad story.) We are trying to access 30 year old technology for a part that may have been improved several times and is sitting on a parts shelf waiting to be picked up by a Parts Man who would say, "Oh, yeah. Got it right here..."

3. Mebbe we could get an "Updated Parts List" for our Roller Bearing Buddies?

johnbirchjar

Postby johnbirchjar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you for the grammar lesson.
I would imagine the spec for a modern rotory engine has improved somewhat over the past 30 odd years,(especially for the aero industry,)so like I said,they must get their bearings,tips and seals from somewhere exclaim,perhaps a start would be the company up in Lichfield?that some of us from the club visited, smiley they were doing all sorts of experiments with rotories for light aircraft and static application (they were even experimenting with one for a kit car cool),J.B.

Return to “Norton Rotary Enthusiasts Club”